index.html

Take a Delightful Tour!

Spend part of your day taking a relaxing tour of daffodil gardens and historic homes. All tours originate from the First United Methodist Church Welcome & Hospitality Center (121 Harrison St.).

JUMP TO:
Daffodil Garden Tours
• Grace Hill
• Beale Daffodil Farm
• Dawson Daffodil Farm
• Oakland Farm
• Oakland Cemetery Walk
• Dining in the Daffodils
Historic Homes Tours
• McCollum-Chidester House Museum
• The Powell-Dietrich House
Other Activies & Other Locations
Antique Car Show
Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot
Driving Tour Information

Daffodil Garden Tours

Friday & Saturday, 9 am - 4:30pm

Daffodil PoemWalk among and view hundreds of thousands of daffodils in our three Showcase gardens; the Beale Daffodil Farm and Grace Hill, with self-guided visits to Oakland Farms, and the Dawson Daffodil Farm. The Garden Tours originate from the First United Methodist Church at 116 Jefferson St. in downtown Camden.

The Festival Committee strongly recommends Festival Guests take advantage of the Shuttle Service provided while visiting the Gardens and Homes. Very limited parking is available at these locations. Considerations will be given to handicapped patrons and other special needs.

Daffodil Garden Tours (and shuttle transportation)
3 privately owned daffodil gardens plus drive-by, $20.00 adults, $8 ages 6-18, FREE 5 and under
Individual Garden Tour, $7.00

Grace Hill

Old Wire Road / 3675 Ouachita 3

‘Welcome to Grace Hill’ reads the sign at the street . . . and ‘welcome’ it is to this country home and garden.

Grace Hill is the home of Frank and Joy Wright Wietecha. The name “Grace Hill” comes from Joy’s Aunt Grace, who gave Joy this family farm land which has been in Joy’s family since the 1830’s.

Completed in 1992, the home is a copy of the George Wythe house (circa 1740) in Williamsburg, Virginia. Attention to detail has proven to present a simple home with a lot of ‘presence.’

Dining with the Daffodils was established years ago here at Grace Hill. Come join us on the ‘back lawn’ where we have set up tables ‘al fresca.’ We will serve you hot soup and a sandwich and ’N’Orleans’ bread pudding (that is legendary—really!). All this is home-cooked and served by the Friends of the Fort Lookout Civil War Museum and Interpretive Park (sponsored by the Ouachita County Historical Society).

Beale Daffodil Farm

290 Ouachita 42. Deep in the backwoods of south Ouachita County, among the towering pine trees, hidden treasures are multiplying every year, and they wave golden greetings to all who come to visit. The Camden Daffodil Festival is fortunate to offer the Beale Daffodil Farm for a fourth year on the Garden Tour. Visitors are warmly greeted by Anne Beale, who will personally introduce visitors to her extended family of daffodil bulbs, and encourage all to walk throughout the naturalized landscaping of “The Property”. The Beale’s pursue, with permission, the rescue of abandoned bulbs from old house places, and have designated acres to cultivating Heirlooms, as well as Hybrids, to be transplanted later around the place. Grady Beale is a retired teacher and coach, and approaches his hobby with enthusiasm. With a cordless drill and garden auger in his hand, he is a gardener on a mission – planting more bulbs! Enjoy this hidden jewel, and be sure to come back next year to visit again!

The Beale Daffodil Farm Story

By Grady and Anne Beale

Nineteen years ago, we bought land at Buena Vista. We called this "The Property", and every weekend, my husband worked with a machete and chainsaw to make a path into the prop- erty and clear walking paths throughout.

Later, we had a road bulldozed in and two ponds added.

In about 2000, Clara Freeland was selling daffodil bulbs for the historical society and my husband bought 500. He planted each one with a dibble on the property in the woods.

That spring was a glorious sight!

The next year, he bought 1,000, and so on, over the years. It was amazing to drive in our gate and see these flowers out in the woods - in the middle of nowhere - blooming their hearts out.

We since have discovered the beauty of the species of daffodils that you see blooming in pastures, at old home sites, and in the woods.

We have many of these old historic bulbs in our yard and thanks to Thera Lou Adams and her friend and bulb expert, Celia Jones, I know their names:
• Butter and Eggs, • Texas Star,• Van Sion,• Lent Lily,
• Jonquilla - (aka 'Early Louisiana,')
• Campernelle, and more!
This is a very short history of our daffodils. It has been a happy journey, and we are still planting daffodils yearly.

In 2005, we moved into our home on "The Property," and that's how our daffodil story came to be.

Back to Top

Dawson Daffodil Farm

2698 Ouachita 3 Carrying on the family tradition started by the late John Dawson, Jr., the Dawson children are opening the Dawson Daffodil Farm to the public during the Camden Daffodil Festival. John Jr. had the foresight to preserve this property after the original owner, Mrs. O.L. Fellers passed away some years ago. By doing so, he preserved thousands of daffodil bulbs to showcase to the public and pay tribute to the lady who spent her whole life developing new bulbs and sharing those with others. This place is truly a naturalized diamond in the rough and offers serene paths through the woods and daffodil drifts. Bring your camera – the photo opportunities are numerous and may include wildlife!

Back to Top

Oakland Farm

2474 Oakland Six generations of the Tate Family have cultivated the land at Oakland Farm, starting in the late 1870s - the early generations with cotton; the fourth, fifth, and sixth generations with daffodils. A simple farm house for the early settlers has evolved into the location of one of the largest Fall arts and crafts festivals in the South – the B&PW Barn Sale.

Walter and Ruth Tate began developing the semiformal gardens in the early 1950s, and planted hundreds of azaleas, daffodils and daylilies among the pecan trees. To this day, many of the original plantings thrive and bloom every year. Ruth pursued transplanting daffodil bulbs from Mrs. O.L. Fellers' gardens (now the Dawson Daffodil Farm) upon her death. Massive naturalized offerings were added to the existing floral landscaping, and provide an extended blooming season in the spring. Visitors are welcomed to take a self-guided tour of Oakland Farm and enjoy the genteel surroundings under the shadow of the old Barn and around the ponds. Natures’ own resident deer and other animals may also join the tour.

Oakland Farm is now owned and protected by Bob and Amanda Tate Wunnenberg

Bob and Amanda Tate Wunnenberg keep the garden auger busy by continuing to add daffodils to the landscape yearly. They have recently designated an area of the St Louis garden for bulbs shared from Shaw Gardens and other sources by friend and daffodil guru, Beth Holbrook.

Back to Top

Oakland Cemetery Walk

107 Maul Rd - Available on Garden Tour Shuttle Route

107 Maul Rd Oakland Cemetery was Camden’s first community cemetery.  The land was donated to the City in 1830 by William Bradley an early pioneer and community leader.  Within the gates of this beautiful old cemetery are the graves of Camden’s oldest families. 

Twice yearly costumed re-enactors share the stories that shaped and impacted this community on the banks of the Ouachita River.  Stories of River boats, enterprise, Indians and war. 

Come join us at Oakland from 10:00 until 3:00 on March 10th and 11th, during  the 2017 Daffodil Festival while we take a “Walk Back in Time”

Families $15.00
Adults $7.00
Children 6-18 $3.00
under 6 free

Back to Top

Grace Hill - Dining in the Daffodils

3675 Ouachita 3 If you would like to have lunch during your garden tour, you might want to plan on "Dining in the Daffodils" at Grace Hill on Old Wire Road and being serenaded with beautiful violin music while you enjoy the ambience of the garden and good food. Lunch will be served between 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. each day at a cost of $15.

Please note: private vehicles will be allowed in the gardens at Grace Hill for those eating lunch, at a cost of $7.00 per vehicle.

Back to Top

Historic Homes Tours

Friday & Saturday, 9 am - 4pm

Step back into history on this tour of Historic Homes.

  1. McCollum-Chidester House Museum, 926 W. Washington St.
  2. The Powell-Dietrich House, 305 California St.
  3. Antique Car Show, 1108 W. Washington St.

Ticket price is $20 for all homes or $7 each at the door if you prefer to tour only one or two homes.

The Festival Committee strongly recommends Festival Guests take advantage of the Shuttle Service provided while visiting the Gardens and Homes. Very limited parking is available at these locations. Considerations will be given to handicapped patrons and other special needs.

 

Tickets can be purchased at:
First United Methodist Church Atrium
(121 Harrison Ave SW, Camden, AR 71701)
or Downtown at the Information booth (at the corner of Washington and Adams)

Back to Top

McCollum-Chidester House Museum

926 Washington St. 9-4 pm

The McCollum-Chidester House Museum was built by Peter McCollum, a local merchant, in 1847 on land received by a grant from the United States Government. It was the first house in Camden built of planed lumber, had the first wallpaper, and the first kitchen in Camden to have an iron cook stove. The home was purchased by the Ouachita County Historical Society in 1963 and opened as a museum. This house was the setting of the TV miniseries, "North & South" and entertained movie stars, Patrick Swayze and Kirstie Alley.

Back to Top

The Powell-Dietrich House

305 California St. Presented by Dr. Fred Dietrich. 9-4 pm.

The Powell-Godwin-May House was built about 1859 by Benjamin T. Powell andit is a representative type of the town house which were being built by those persons whose wealth was derived from the growing and selling of cotton. In April of 1864, when Federal troops occupied Camden, General Rice established headquarters in the Powell-Dietrich house and remained until Camden was evacuated. Fred Dietrich DDS, purchased this property in 2002 and currently still owns it.

Other Activies & other Locations

Step back into history on this tour. Includes our renown Historic Homes and one of South Arkansas' largest Antique car shows.

Antique Car Show

1108 W. Washington 9:00 am – 3:00 pm Free (Saturday Only)

Come and see one of South Arkansas' largest Antique Car Shows.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot

314 S Adams open only on Friday 9-4 pm.

Built in 1913 and lovingly restored in 1995, the Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot now houses & Camden Area Chamber of Commerce. The depot served first as a passenger station, then primarily as a Freight station until it closed in December of 1983. The Mo-Pac, as it is familiarly known, was the largest and most important railroad in Arkansas.

Back to Top

New This Year! (Bonus Tour) A drive by tour of Camdens Historic home distructs.

This driving tour will travel at leisurely pace with narrative commentary through Camden's most historic residential areas-multiple blocks west and northwest of downtown which have been designated as National Register Historic Districts. The focus will be the Clifton and Greening Streets Historic Distric and the partially contiguous Washington Street Historic District which also includes Graham Street and several blocks of Agee Avenue. These areas were recognized for illustrating the major waves of residential building in Camden for more than a century and for displaying with a high degree of integrity the most prominent architectural styles in each of those eras. Many of the structures were the homes of the town's leading citizens. The narrator will be John Wheeler, an historian with lifetime experience in this part of town.

Friday only at 3pm

Saturday only at 3pm

Tour leaves from First United Methodist, 121 Harrison.

The Festival Committee strongly recommends Festival Guests take advantage of the Shuttle Service provided while visiting the Gardens and Homes. Very limited parking is available at these locations. Considerations will be given to handicapped patrons and other special needs.

Back to Top

Tickets can be purchased at:
First United Methodist Church Atrium
(121 Harrison Ave SW, Camden, AR 71701)
or Daffodil Junction (at the corner of Washington and Adams).
*FREE Festival maps are available on location.